An Oral History of WPRC

Tom Whitehead, studying for a Public History Master’s at Royal Holloway, University of London, has created an Oral History of Winnington Park Recreation Club.


Click here to go to the Oral History Website.

Northwich Guardian Article here.

Historical Pictures

The Pavilion was built in 1898 by the well known local builder William Wood who lived at Clifton Cottage on Chester Road, Hartford.











Courtesy of Nick Colley

Courtesy of Nick Colley

Map of Winnington c1886

The Crescent Players Poster by William Hutchings


Courtesy of Nick Colley

Winnington Avenue Prefabs - Built 1912 - Courtesy of Nick Colley

Winnington Park Primary School

75th Anniversary Celebration on Jubilee Field - WPRC in background - Courtesy Nick Colley
Welcome to Winnington - Richard Edmunds (2007) - Grosvenor Museum, Chester
Northwich Guardian May 1973
Winnington & Castle 1885
Aerial View of Winnington - Courtesy Nick Colley

Follow Nick Colley's "Northwich History Past and Present"
Facebook Group here.
____________________________________________________________
Winnington

Winnington is the most historic part of Northwich.

The final battle of the English Civil War was fought at Winnington Bridge on 16 August 1659.

The Winnington Estate was established in the late 16th or early 17th century when the timber-framed hall was built for the Warburton family. It passed to the Pennant family of Penrhyn, and was extended in 1775 with designs by Samuel Wyatt. Winnington Hall is now a Grade 1 listed building.

Between the 1850s and 70s the Hall was used as a Girls School, visited by John Ruskin and Edward Burne-Jones.

In 1872 the estate was purchased by John Brunner and Ludwig Mond, and thus the industrialisation of Winnington began. The factory produced soda ash, had its own railway line, and build many of the houses in Winnington. Brunner Mond became ICI, and then Tata Chemicals. Ludwig Mond lived in Winnington Hall for a short period, and began his art collection whilst there. On his death, the Mond Bequest was given to the nation, and is now on display in The National Gallery.

Polythene was discoved at the Winnington Labs by R.O. Gibson and E.W. Fawcett in 1933.

Winnington Park Recreation Club was established in 1890 for the benefit of the workers at Brunner Mond, with major additions in 1923 and 1937. Land was also given to establish Moss Farm Sports Complex.

The River Weaver was made navigable starting in 1720, and the nearby Anderton Boat Lift opened in 1875.

The electrically operated Winnington Turn Bridge dates from 1908/9, replacing an earlier bridge built in 1901, which had proved inadequate.

The Victoria Infirmary was originally opened in 1887 when a local MP, Robert Verdin, donated his house for use as a hospital. He also donated Verdin Park and the Verdin Baths to the town.